Friday, June 2
Dan Brown: Bullhonkey. Horsecrap. Rubbish!!
Okay. I realize I'm probably the last person of everybody I know to read the Da Vinci Code so it's not my most timely and relevant blog.And don't get me wrong, I loved it. Great pacing, interesting storyline, packed with details -- great.
But why do these writers feel they need to also interweave a love story? "I will only go with you if you quit calling me Mr. Langdon." Sophie blushed, "Of course, Robert."
Now I get that I sound a bit like Fred Savage in the Princess Bride, but c'mon.
Do publishers really think a story as fascinating as the Da Vinvi Code would not have sold if it weren't for that love story component? Did Dan Brown feel it was critical for Robert to have feelings for Sophie? Yes, there were portions of the story where the storyline twisted because Robert wouldn't abandon Sophie. But that could have just been because he was a nice guy and she was in danger. It didn't have to be because "He could sense the heightened connection between them and longed to shout out to her..." Blah! Blah! Blah!
It's just like The Firm. I've only read one Grisham novel (that one) and I was so annoyed at the predictable, cheesy, love-story finish at the end I threw the book down and likely said somthing similar to the subject line of this post.
Thank goodness for the Epilogue, otherwise Da Vince Code would have ended with 2 characters kissing on a hill at night. Really? That was the best you could do Danny boy?
Now, is this just me? Does everybody love a good, suspenseful, crime drama with a shot of romance? Maybe the love story is meant to balance the intense, fast, mystery aspect. But couldn't something less-predictable and cheesy like "Sitting under the trees of the park, while waiting to slash his would-be attacker, Mr. Jones detected a whiff of roasted peanuts taking him back to his childhood days vacationing on the beach. But he couldn't linger in the memory, with Mr. F approaching, his task was at hand."
See what I'm saying? Now if I were Dan Brown or John Grisham the above paragraph would be peppered with flowery, emotional thoughts and longings about the heroine of the book.
My final review of the book? 80% Riveting. 20% Bullhonkey. Horsecrap. Rubbish.
Comments:
<< Home
So you hate Jesus. I hope your parents are proud of their hellbound child. The next hurricane is on your head young lady.
Post a Comment
<< Home
