Sunday, June 11
Old Spitalfield's Market
So, today I went to quite possibly my favorite place since I've been in London. (Yes, I still love the British Library, but this was pretty cool.)I'd been to Portabello Market many times. It has lots of fancy antiques and random jewelery. Very interesting and great for people watching.
But, today I went to Old Spitalfield's Market. This is MUCH more bohemian than Portabello Market. I loved it. I wish somebody would just give me £500 and tell me to change out my whole wardrobe. Will somebody please nominate me for "What Not to Wear"??
Beyond really cool clothing, they also had antiques and knick-knacks and artwork. One of the absolutely COOLEST things I saw was what you see to the left. This guy took Coke bottles, wine bottles, beer bottles, etc. and would saw off a portion of them and sand the edge to a smooth finish so you could actually use them like a drinking glass. How COOL is that?!?!? He would also take wine bottles and turn them upside down, then hack off the top and attach the handle of the bottle to a flat piece of glass, essentially turning the handle into the stem of a goblet. So, so cool. Unfortunatley I bought a Diet Coke glass to match the Coke one, but it broke on the way home. I remember setting my bag down and hearing a CRLINK and thinking it was bad news.
But the Coke glass survived and I think I can still use the Diet Coke glass as a vase or something fun.
Woo hoo Spitalfield's.